PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pel Air vs RFDS for the Air Ambulance contract in Australia
Old 7th Jul 2009, 11:01
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay I knew this would come out sooner or latter.

I'll add a bit here seeing as I am directly effected

Yes it's true the RFDS has been unsuccessful in the next contract in Melb.
Sydney unknown as yet but doesn't look good.

We have a great team down here, top management with the best C&T guys you will get in the business, pilots who can do the job with their eyes closed all well above the mins many in the 5000-10000 hr bracket. Engineers who are worth their weight in gold. The admin staff who really run the place we just do as we are told are terrific people:-)
The fact is that it's a Govt commercial contract & when Govts are involved anything is possible, anyone recall the Amann Aviation fiasco many years ago?
Pelair/Rex obviously have a lot of clout & I wish them well because it's not an easy contract to stay on top of. Anyone can fly a KingAir they are idiot proof that's not the issue it means making several quick decisions on the run under some very adverse conditions that counts, pilots need to be extraordinary at times, will be interesting to see if Pelair use this contract and others (if they win others) as a proving/training ground so to speak for their up & coming 'gringos'! Just an opinon that's all.

I have my doubts as to whether the currect drivers will take on the new employers if they do indeed get offered jobs as there is certaintly almost no chance of us getting our current hard fought T&C's, this will be the deciding factor for us older pilots, early retirment looks good:-)

So I hope that puts to rest some that might be thinking otherwise here. It's been a great ride for allmof us & there is still some fun times & great mateship to be had before we go under but all good things come to an end. The only saving grace might be the fact that 2 years in aviation ('till the end of the current contract) is a very long time, anything could happen & probably will.
ANSETT who? I always thought they where as safe as eggs, most did, but now?..............I rest my case!

cheers

Wmk2