PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2009, 09:44
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure I'm not alone in now being confused about who actually owns the aircraft and bears responsibility for operating the aircraft. Which organization is the operator as per CAP 632 in this VTTS/TVOC/Marshals set-up? What are the functions of the CEO and Engineering Manager of the Trust and for what is the Trust actually responsible? Are Marshals really delegated and contracted as both the operator and the maintenance organization?

Under CAP 632 an aircraft owner wishing to fly an aircraft under a Permit to Fly is responsible for setting up an operational organization and producing the Organizational Control Manual (refer esp. to Annexe A), . Some or all of these functions can be delegated and/or sub-contracted (ref. CAP 632 Ch 4 Para 3), but overall responsiblity for both the operation of the aircraft and its continuing airworthiness remains with the owner/operator.

In simple terms, Marshall Aerospace is , effectively, the operator of XH558. VTST can only do anything to the aircraft, including fly it, on direct authorisation from Marshall Aerospace
My own original understanding was that the Trust was the owner, TVOC was delegated the responsibility for the operational organization and Marshals were contracted for maintenance and as the design authority. Are we now to understand that Marshals are responsible for flight operations, maintenance and design and neither the Trust nor TVOC have any responsibility for anything?

Operator and Accountable Management; VTTS Trust or Marshals; which is it?

Last edited by Blacksheep; 7th Jul 2009 at 11:21.