PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice on M/E takeoff briefing
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2009, 09:37
Unhinged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintaining controlled flight has to be the first priority ahead of moving all those levers around. It's surprising how long even a BE76/PA44/etc will keep flying if you just control pitch/roll/yaw. Here's one I teach (this one customised for BE76 at an airport where there is clear ground for a significant distance on runway heading):

Today I am flying a Beechcraft Duchess. Vmca is 65 knots, Vr is 71 knots, TOSS is 80 knots, Vyse (Blue Line) is 85 knots, and Vy is 85 knots.

In the event of an engine failure after take-off I will not continue unless I have obstacle clearance, Vyse, and gear and flaps retracted. Therefore, my decision point today is gear selected up, and...

If I have an engine failure on the runway I will close both throttles, and apply even braking

If I have an engine failure with runway remaining I will maintain controlled flight and land back on the runway

If I have an engine failure after take-off and before the gear is selected up, I will lower the nose to maintain safe speed, pick an appropriate landing place within 30 degrees of the nose, and use the gear, flaps and remaining power to fly the aircraft to the landing, manoeuvring as necessary to avoid obstacles

If I have an engine failure after the gear is selected up, I will fly the aircraft, maintaining direction, set pitch attitude for Blue Line speed, and wings level; Without delay Mixture-Pitch-Power-Gear-Flaps-Identify-Verify-Feather.

If I am in VMC, I will maintain VMC, fly the aircraft straight ahead to a safe height, return for a circuit and landing.

If I am unable to maintain VMC or am in IMC I will continue straight ahead tracking 140 reference the NDB. I will let down to not below 400 ft to become visual and return for a landing.

My takeoff minima are therefore a 500 ft cloud base and 2km vis.

Last edited by Unhinged; 7th Jul 2009 at 09:50.