PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 7th Jul 2009, 07:22
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JT - I saw it happen too on an early training detail where I was 'Safety Pilot', this time into CPH. I'm sure it is/was a result of 'culture' rather than piloting skills, as ALL the pilots involved were well-hardened 'old' and traditional 'stick and throttle' men (and in CPH it was BIG CAVOK as well that day).

I well recall the introduction of the 734 into my then company (late 80's), and the whole training dept was so starry-eyed about the 'fantastic' FMC that we were told EVERYTHING had to be actioned via the CDU and 'execute' and that to use LVLCHG, V/S or (heaven forbid) manual was a black mark. This caused me to screw up a linecheck into Geneva which is/was renowned for 'shortcuts' onto the southwesterly over the lake, and my desire to disconnect and fly down to capture the g/s was negated by the ruling 'philosophy', and by the time I had entered the new altitude, checked and executed and the auto had 'thought' about a gentle throttle closing and descending.........................shortly after that the trainers recognised it was still just an aeroplane.

It is this sort of mental environment I fear now - what is known in UK as 'The King's new Clothes' from the song. Perhaps we need the 'little boy' to shout out again?