PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Safety Issues Raised by ALAEA
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2009, 04:04
aussie027

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Issue 1. Qantas 767 Bne-Cns lands in June 2008 after experiencing severe turbulence. A mandatory turbulence check is required with 25 items. 10 of them are deferred until the next a-check and the EA issued by the airline states as a reason insufficient time and equipment are available to carry out the full AMM 05-51-04 inspections.

The deferred checks included visual inspections of engine mounts, empennage safety checks for structural security etc... Now I am no award winning aviation expert but I do think that my 24 years as an aircraft engineer tell me that a mandatory severe turbulence check cannot be deferred. To defer it for several weeks until the next a-check for the above reason makes it far worse.
To me the underlined sentence basically says we cannot be bothered doing this now as it is too costly ,inconvenient and time consuming.

It certainly would have been bloody "costly and inconvenient" if the aircraft was in fact damaged and had an inflight structual failure on the next flight, or the one after that wouldnt it??

If the next 2 or 3 assigned crews reading that write up in the maintenance log had refused to fly the plane until the full inspection was done it would have been gotten done asap right?????
The time and equipment would have been found or they park the jet if no tech crew will fly it.

No airline is perfect and of course, everyone makes mistakes at some point too but the regulator needs to do their job and regulate and oversee the operators no matter who they are or how big or small they are.

Operator self regulation when tens of millions of dollars are at stake to be made or saved by cutting corners will never work in the real world .
Ultimately peoples lives are at stake, and 1 serious fatal accident/disaster will do exponentially far more damage and cost more than any penny pinching effort to save a buck here and there.
Most pilots and engineers know this and yet airline risk management experts appear not too and are happy to gamble on the odds always being in their favour.

However beyond the ALAEA versus Qantas and CASA matters is the overriding issue of safety standards enforcement in Australia. Australia failed critical elements of an ICAO audit of safety oversight earlier this year,
and has wide ranging remedial action to complete by the end of the year or
risk being consigned to the same failed state status when it comes to
aviation as Indonesia and Yemen.

Under these circumstances air travellers have every reason to treat with
caution airline and regulator platitudes about their exemplary safety
standards whether made in reaction to union or public concerns.
Very true, lets see how CASA shapes up in the next 6 months and if they pass the next audit.

Last edited by aussie027; 7th Jul 2009 at 04:53.