PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Max demonstrated crosswind definition please
Old 6th Jul 2009, 23:56
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
For most light aircraft this would be a very low value

Given, for most lighties, that the design limit for stall is 70 mph (61 kts if you prefer the new-fangled stuff), generally we will be looking for something in the 10-15kt region. (The 70 mph thing dates back to the real olden days and was a finger in the wind figure thought to be a reasonable speed to provide some sensible likelihood of surviving a crash landing off airport .. which was the norm in those days of yesteryear).

10-15 kts is fine if you stick to places with lots of runways.

The important points to keep in mind -

(a) the OEM generally will endeavour to get the highest X/W they can for marketing but are limited by what they can get. No-one is going to waste too much time chasing wind for a diminishing return, so long as the certification requirements can be ticked off.

(b) the demonstrated value may be limiting, or near-limiting, which was the reason I introduced the Commander anecdote

(c) the demonstrated value may be significantly non-limiting, which gives rise to the hangar tales of "there I was landing in (pick a figure) knots X/W". We've all done that but there is a need to remember that the onus is on the pilot to be able to justify his actions at the enquiry (read insurance consequence, in particular) if the operation goes pear shaped.

Many of us have frightened ourselves with higher than prudent X/W - I recall being caught out as a young buck with a gusting X/W which my inexperience allowed to put the downwind wingtip VERY close to the runway. Fortunately, I was able to drag the bird back off the ground and do a bit better on the next landing so I didn't have to explain my actions. However, I did learn a sobering lesson along the way.

The advantage of sticking with demonstrated as a defacto limit is that the certification system has had a reasonable look at that sort of wind level. One needs to keep in mind that the certification exercise will have been done in reasonably smooth wind conditions. If the day is strongly gusting, one needs to have a very circumspect think about whether it might be a good idea to land someplace else.

I don’t recall any ‘differences’ training covering the certification standards when converting to larger aircraft.

I'm a tad out of touch with the training side these days but I suspect that the general knowledge level of certification amongst the usual pilot ranks is pretty shallow .. one of the values of Tech Log given that we have a few certification folk who play regularly in this sand pit.

When I were but a young lad the training paradigm in Oz was a reasonably good background in performance certification but next to nothing elsewhere .. better than nothing, I guess ?

Flight Test Guides

I commend these documents for a read. Not light going but gives a better appreciation of the sorts of things which go into the performance and handling side of certification than you ever got in flight training courses.

(a) lighties at AC 23-8B

(b) heavy metal at AC 25-7A