PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New reinforced cockpit doors
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2002, 15:26
Wino
Union Goon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAXANGLE.
You never heard of an autopilot? PUT the aircraft on the autopilot while you wrestle with the other guy, don't handfly the aircraft while wrestling with the controls. If ytou are flying an Airbus, it isn't even necesary to deal with him, just lock out his control stick, then pull the pin in the door at your leisure. Furthermore the permanent doors are supposed to have a switch from that you can reach from the controls to allow the flight attendant in, should an emergency cause you to need them. It is astounding to me that people are still foolish enough to deny the need to be able to lock out the bad guys! Does anyone really think this is over? The only thing that has changed is that it will take 10 people instead of 5 this time to take control of the aircraft.

Boofhead,
There is no longer "the common strategy" where you cooperate with the Hijackers, and spreading that nonsense is just dangerous as it will encourage others to try it again

Wino, I've edited your paragraph above. E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll tell you why. (I would have e-mailed you, but you've got your e-mail address restricted.)

Foxmouth,

You will kill lots of people on the aircraft with your actions. Most of em in the back where the effects will be much worse than up near the cockpit door. Yanking and banking will be of limited value to save you, and the airplane isn't nearly as strong as you seam to think it is, Ask the crew of American Airlines 587. You should really study the injury patterns in various upsets before you try and shake the plane. You will turn the people in the back half of the aircraft into strawberry jam, the front half will just have a fun ride.

And furthermore, an unlocked door is far more clearly a case of negligence. Since sept 11 there have been 2 more seroius assaults on the cockpit, and in the 5 yeras before it there was a half a dozen more. BUt I guess you would prefer that some crazy person auger a 747 into the ground over Africa than you be in the slightest inconvienced.

Last edited by McD; 27th May 2002 at 03:36.