PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2009, 22:24
takata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hyperveloce:
...typically in the realm of expertise of the IFREMER and the SHOM, and the kind of analysis I expected in the BEA report, the kind of analysis one could make to establish an underwater search area. Now, maybe a numerical code is available or some goodwilling expert in the relevant oceanic lab could help.
Hi Jeff,

Sure. But as far as I understand from the interim report. This area of the Ocean was not the most documented of the whole, then the Pourquoi Pas? and the SHOM team was tasked with the mission of filling the many gaps in knowledge.

The first "carroyage" was made by the Navy and, being an ex member of this establishment, I understand it like a "systematic search (very École Navale and Cartesian)" starting from the reference point (0210 last report), and not a SHOM best guess based on sea currents and drifts. Moreover, this matched the most obvious hypothesis: plane crashed at 0214, then no more than 40 NM from 0210.

Now, if the search fails to find the recorders, they will switch to SHOM method in order to locate the wreck and to reduce the perimeter (and cost/time considering the hard work it will be).

S~
Olivier