PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hiring a plane in the USA asa tourise
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2009, 20:06
Gertrude the Wombat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a ppl licence with around 50 hours
It always strikes me as far too much like hard work to get to the stage of being allowed to hire an aircraft solo whilst playing tourist, if the flying isn't the entire point of the holiday.

I just hire an plane and an instructor, I do the flying, the instructor does the navigation and the boring foreign radio, I stick a couple of kids in the back and I log it as a flying lesson. This has worked fine for me in three continents so far.

It's particularly useful if the type of flying is not something you're used to ... such as mountain flying (from someone who learned to fly over East Anglia), such as flying over water.

And of course the time I had trouble maintaining straight-and-level. I was getting more and more puzzled by this - yes, to be sure I wasn't used to a horizon being anything other than dead flat, but I really didn't think that the sloping horizon should be causing me this much trouble. After a while the instructor, watching me getting puzzled, said "yes, well, this one has never been quite the same since the accident". Fortunately my wife, in the back (this was our honeymoon), didn't hear this, not having a headset, so she didn't know we'd been flying in a bent aircraft until after we'd landed. I wouldn't have wanted to do that trip PIC!