Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2009, 18:24
takata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARFOR:
Commonality of hypothesis:
[...]
2) - If the aircraft suffered engine failure, it could be recovered to a glide for troubleshooting (would it still output ACARS?, YUP!)
I don't think so. In case the aircraft suffered double engine failure, it should switch to EMER ELEC mode with only HF1 and VHF1 available => No more ACARS by SATCOM.

woodvale:
3. I’ve never had a problem with this, CBs scare me. On 3 occasions close to them I’ve suffered the effects of engine icing at TATs below -40°. (warmer than this I would have had the EAI on anyway)
This is an important point and such an issue is also relevant considering AF447 case, at least, as much as the never ending 'Rudder & Computer glitches" thesis, already discussed to death, as well as the spin/stall unrecoverable upsets.

Here is a document about such kind of issue from the 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, 9 - 12 January 2006, Reno, Nevada:

The Ice Particle Threat to Engines in Flight

http://airs-icing.org/AIRS_II/AIAARe...06-206-739.pdf
Authors:
*Jeanne G. Mason - Boeing Commercial Airplanes , Seattle WA, USA, 98124
*J. Walter Strapp - Environment Canada, 4905 Dufferin St., Downsview, ON, M3H 5T4, Canada
*Philip Chow - Honeywell International, 111 S. 34 St., Phoenix, Arizona, USA, 85034

Abstract:
This paper discusses jet engine powerloss and damage due to ingestion of ice particles. In the mid-90s several commercial airplane jet engines experienced more frequent powerloss in ice particle conditions, resulting in a focused investigation, and a greater awareness that led to recognition of similar events on other aircraft. Since the mid-90s, events have been more numerous, and costly, and have generated greater industry interest. These events have been predominately associated with flight at high altitude near deep convective systems, often in tropical regions. Data are presented from flight-testing and an event data base to support the contention that the events are caused by ingestion of high concentrations of ice particles, and that supercooled liquid water is either of secondary importance or not required. The basic theory of how ice accretes in the engine by this process is described. Complex issues facing industry to mitigate the problem, and simulation of the ice particle environment are discussed.

Everyone should read it and comment.
S~
Olivier