PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2009, 02:26
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ttcse
MFS
As for crew hindering recovery, I am a believer that all pilots can make mistakes dealing with critical urgent situations.

Otherwise, you disagreed to my "only a deep-stall would be a stable stall" but in talking it out appeared to discount it for the A330. And I am trying to be specific to the A330 and not talk for all aircraft in general.
No, I wasn't discounting the possibility of being able to control the A330 in a post stall regime - what I was pointing out that there are definite counter examples that prove that not all stable stalls are deep stalls. Therefore there exists the possibility that such is also the case for the A330. Basically deep is not the same thing as stable. What I was illustrating is that if you have enough pitch control power you can hold an aircraft at an AOA above the stall, without it being deep stalled.

If the cg was towards the aft end of the range then it's definitely possible, in my mind, that there was enough control authority in the pitch axis to hold the aircraft in the stalled condition. Depending in detail on what the (natural) stall characteristics of the aircraft are like of course - if it's a root stall I'd expect a fairly large pitch down that might not be controllable. But if it's mid wing, then it might have a post-stall solution. If its a tip stall then there'd be a pitch up, but in that case I'd expect the roll axis to be a handful which would preclude stability in that axis in all likelihood.