PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2009, 02:24
Penguin68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pampas: go to Gatwick and get them to do an "eyes first" medical - that way if you can't get past Adrian you won't be put through (and charged for) the rest.

I'm no expert but I think your prescription might be classed as monovision which if true would rule you out as far as a JAA class 1 is concerned. You MUST get yourself checked out by Gatwick BEFORE you have LASIK.

That said, I was borderline but was passed last year: my left eye including astigmatism was -5.5 and my right eye was -6.25 BUT my corrected vision was way better than the required standard - I was 9/6 in each eye individually, so basically I got a pass because you could have depowered my right lens and I could still beat 6/6 ... its a rubbish standard.

As for LASIK, I had it done in December 2008 at the University of Miami's Bascom Palmer eye institute which is the #1 eye hospital in America. It cost $5000 and now I'm stable 20/15 in each eye and no halos, although the pupil dilating drops they gave me a week before the op gave me terrible starbursts that took at least a month to wear off. I did visit Dr. Giledi at the Centre For Sight at East Grinstead but I literally ran out of time to get the op done before I left the UK. I was told by my optician in Horsham not to get it done anywhere else in the UK.

If you have the option of working in the USA, the current FAA rules no longer have any restriction on pre-operative refraction. I am told this is because you are highly unlikely to meet the standard post-op if your eyesight is really terrible. In the US, if you had LASIK and are halo free and stable 6/6 or better afterwards you are in.

To make sure I can get a CAA class 1 at a future date (i.e. if there is any point in doing so ... seems unlikely TBH) I went back to Gatwick in April this year to see Adrian again and he passed me post-op - like I said, 6/6 isn't much of a standard to beat.