PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2009, 01:19
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ttcse
It seems to me a standard stall from flight-levels to the sea is unlikely. Either the crew would recover or the natural stability of the aircraft wouldn't allow it to be sustained.
That presumes that the crew would be aware of the stalled condition. With no reliable or trusted airspeed information, and with perhaps serious doubt in the crews' minds as to the validity of altitude data also, and thus perhaps no indication of the actual flight path, I'm not sure we can assume that a stall would be easily identified from the available data.

Originally Posted by ttcse
Only a deep-stall would be a stable stall.
I disagree. Deep stalls are a form of stall where the aircraft cannot be recovered to normnal angles-of-attack by means of the aerodynamic controls, due to (typically) blanking of the empennage.

Stability merely requires that there be a combination of angle of attack and flight controls which will maintain the post-stall condition. Any aircraft with a post-natural-stall stick pusher system has to be capable of a stable stalled state if the crew so elects. Such aircraft are not, in that state, deep-stalled, because they are recoverable. (NB The A330 is not such an aircraft in terms of architecture, simply pointing out that stability /= deep stall)