PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2009, 19:45
Will Fraser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Graybeard

I'm not sure anyone was trying to connect the VS separation as a result of a spin. If so, I would think it unlikely as well. In fact, the VS separation most likely would have been prior to a spin, if separated at altitude. It is difficult to disagree with BEA re: VS anyway; they have the piece itself, and one hopes they wouldn't have stated the 'result' in the absence of evidence ?
For some,
There seems to be some confusion re: spin and upset. A spin is a final and consistently terminal mode of flight. An upset can include anything prior, in general terms. An a/c, leaving controlled flight, can tumble, break up, slip, skid, invert, tumble again, etc. BEA has no way of knowing, I would submit, what preceded their conclusion of mode at impact. An a/c wants to fly, an upset is not sustainable, the a/c will seek a regime that 'balances' whatever forces act upon it. This is usually a spin, (In the absence of control input) but in general, if most of the surfaces are intact, they work to defeat an imbalanced conservation of the energy it has. When an F-18 departs controlled flight, the pilot lets go of everything. The computer and a/c recover flight on their own. The a/c wants to fly. It takes a lot of work and crossed controls to make an a/c tumble. A spin is not cute, but it is consistent, and stable, in most cases ? Comment?

This brings me to a couple other points. If I were writing the report, a descent as described by BEA would be my decision as well. I am not privy to the information, but it is as benign a result as can be divined, if the purpose is political, and not forensic.

The BEA decry the lack of perfomed autopsy info yet who believes it wasn't made available to them?

In the absence of any (sic) forensic pathology results, they have the audacity to proclaim that the 'bodies were in fairly good shape'.
Excuse me, but in my anatomy class and autopsies at which I was present, I can't remember any one saying as a proper Medical conclusion that John Doe was in 'pretty good shape'. What's the purpose of stating anything that isn't specific and doesn't conform to accepted standards, if not politics?

Last edited by Will Fraser; 5th Jul 2009 at 20:36.