PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate hearing and NAS – interesting answers from CASA
Old 5th Jul 2009, 08:26
davidgrant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
david grant

Gosh gentlemen,
I read through all the posts on this topic, and to be frank I really despair.
Just an observation, but it would seem that when someone dosnt seem to have a rational argument they resort to personal villification. I had to ask myself what could be Mr. Smiths motive to bash his head against a brick wall....he for sure dosnt need money...besides how could he possibly gain finacially from this...I have to conclude that he is a serious thinker who perhaps would like to see our industry move on...also to achieve a safer and affordable environment for us all to fly in.
My personal experience in other areas of regulation in Australia indicates an attitude by our various regulators of..."All the rest of the world is wrong...we are right!!"....is this true of our Aviation regulator??...I guess sometimes that is correct...but who in this world has a monopoly on knowledge???, to deny what works and is affordable elsewhere in the world is a folly, which costs this country dearly.I wonder how many of these posts are from those with a vested interest in resisting change and maintaining the staus Quo??
I am not an expert on anything, just a pilot who has accrued some 25,000 hours flying around the world...does the US system work...in the US, yes it does... very well!!,...old American saying " Works well lasts a long time"... Would I like to see it work here??...yes I would.
Since I returned home after some thirty years over "there", I can honestly say I have never felt more uncomfortable, unsafe and uneasy flying anywhere else in the world, if you want to be embarressed read what is written in many of the corporate pilots guides about Australia.I flew a BBJ from Europe to Australia...the fees from Port Headland to Sydney were more than the Fees from Europe to Port Headland...Parking at Sydney for three days I could have got in UK or Europe for a fortnight...Whatever system we end up with it has to be affordable, something I think our regulator totally ignores, to its peril...cant regulate an industry that dosnt exist!!... If we do not change, we all may as well go grow advocado's or something.
Gentlemen, please, lets have a rational debate instead of personal attacks.I'm not pushing Mr. Smiths agenda, I'm just an old fella who has spent his whole life in this industry from 16 years of age, and dearly want to see it prosper, I know experience counts for nothing these days, but what I do know is our system does not work and is patently unsafe...I really do believe that is what Mr. Smith is trying to address...disagree with him if you will, but at least put up a rational argument as to why he is wrong.
Incidently this post is my real name, Toss your crap at me as much as you like...
It washes off you know!!...
Safe flying to all
David