PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2009, 23:50
JuggleDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEA x search

I understand Air France should be on "alert" or "high concern" mode after receiving all those ACARS (all Ambar and one RED?).
What we know yet is even more intriguing than that. From an article published in "Le Canard Enchainé" (French investigative newspaper) on June 24, it seems that when they received the ACARS messages, the AF maintenance center sent a maintenance team to wait for the plane. If I got it right, this was no emergency measure (at the time, they didn't know the plane was missing yet), but rather regular maintenance routine for loss-of-airspeed problems.

I don't understand BEA's attitude towards Brazil, but in the FAB (Brazilian Air Force) web site it is very clear that all the procedures related to flight coordination with AF 447 were conducted as usual with all flights on that same route, day after day, week after week...
I can't speak for the BEA, but I tend to believe their attitude is due more to clumsiness and lack of diplomatic skills than to anything else. Be assured that a lot of people here in France are fully aware that Brazil did A LOT for the search and rescue operation, for the subsequent retrieval of bodies and debris, and for public information too.

There is one point, though where I strongly agree with the BEA: at some point, a plane with 228 souls aboard went missing, and because of a mix of various reasons (including the fact that ACARS messages are apparently not used for this purpose), nobody even noticed it
I am not accusing anyone, as this is not and should not be the point: I just think that what happened should be examined from a standpoint of flight safety, so that one may try to fill up the d***ed Swiss cheese holes.