PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2009, 23:23
tquehl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow

This thread has now digressed to T Tail deep stall concerns. I do have a few questions I feel are valid to be answered by those in the know ans Airbus drivers.

For the record, I am a Boeing/Douglas/Learjet/Embraer pilot and other assorted airframes with over 17K hours in jets worldwide.

My question involves control by the flight crew in the cockpit. I have had the privilege of the famous "Hoot" Gibson on my jumpseat and have discussed the departure from controlled flight over Lake Michigan, in the US, in the late 1970s. He alluded to the fact that that he lost over 20K feet in altitude, broke out of the bottom of the clouds, saw the Moon and pulled "hard". Hard being about 6 Gs. He told me they bottomed out at about 2700 feet. The airplane and passengers all survived, although well shaken up.

My question now to the Airbus gurus here is does the airplane allow you to exercise your piloting skills to maximimun advantage in an untrained and or unplanned situation? Remember, I am a Boeing/Douglas guy. Can you pull as hard as may be required? The difference between hitting the ground/ocean and recovery may well be pull hard on the horizion.

I will leave this open for discussion. Obviously the TWA aircraft under Capt. Gibson's command survived a 6 g recovery. The B-727 was never designed for this load factor, and the airframe in question was retired.

I do not want to hear BS about airframe certifiaction standards, comparrison in G loadings, etc. I will supply a link soon to the TWA incident, but I would hope that all professional aviators on this thread are aware.''

Over