PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2009, 21:09
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
caz:
Chugalug & dalek
Have you ever picked up a "new" aircraft from the manufacturer?
No caz, only a very not well looked after Herc that suffered a bad brake fire at JFK. Lockheed flew it down to their plant in Marietta for repair and eventually I was sent there with a crew to pick it up. As in all such case it wasn't ready, and so we were the subject of true Southern hospitality until it was...but I digress. Probably a similar experience in Belfast. No? Oh well lose some, win some, eh? Along with everyone else of my generation I flew the JP3, and my next employer operated the 146. Both fine aircraft and more than likely yours were airworthy in themselves (though point taken about lack of docs, not clever!). But the Chinook Mk2 was in a different class then. Every one that came out of Boeing was unairworthy, I believe. In particular the FADEC code, DECU connector and the three axis control console (sorry, I know that last bit is not the correct terminology) were all unfit for purpose. I cannot think of any areas other than engine and flying controls more basic to airworthiness. You spoke elsewhere of why we employ test pilots, and I agree this was why. So why, when those same TPs at BD started identifying these basic problems was the type granted its RTS against their protests? BTW don't bother with the no FADEC revisions made thereafter and the code being the same today as it was then. I just don't believe it. If an Airworthiness Authority can go "rogue" as with the Nimrod, as with the Hercules and as I believe with the Chinook Mk2, then it can certainly fix the paperwork to cover its tracks. Serious charge? Yes, I know. Manslaughter is a serious charge, trouble here is the wrong guys took the rap!