PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2009, 19:17
airsound

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
As the official Vulcan flying display commentator, I have been at Waddo all day today, and will be tomorrow. I have conducted 2 interviews on local PA, and 3 for local (air show) radio. I have also talked to countless people at the Vulcan Village, and to other people who have asked questions as I walked around the show site. I have found that, almost without exception, people have been sympathetic to VTST’s problems, once they’ve had the facts explained to them.

I’ve started by saying that VTST is totally gutted by this appalling situation. But I’ve asked people to consider that this is not a situation of VTST’s making - and indeed was something that VTST did not hear about until late Friday.

A year ago, the CAA said that before the next Permit to Fly renewal (3 Jul 2009) investigative work had to be completed on Vulcan 603 at BAES Woodford - an aircraft owned by BAES, not VTST. This was not work that VTST had to carry out - or even could do, since it was not their aircraft.

Despite many reminders, or possibly even badgering, from VTST, the work was not carried out. VTST was given to understand, however, that some flexibility could be available for a temporary extension of the PTF. This turned out, late on Friday, not to be the case

It seems to me that no blame attaches to the CAA, or to BAES - and indeed, the CAA have been trying very hard to resolve the problem, even over the weekend.

It is all thoroughly regrettable - and no one feels more badly than the VTST people I have seen around me at Waddo today. But, as the admirable Eddie Forrester says (thanks Damien and Dan)
it is NOT, REPEAT NOT the fault of anyone in VTS management.
Maybe I’ll see you at Waddo tomorrow. Please come and say hallo, or even toss a few insults in. It’ll be a pleasure to see you.

sean
airsound