PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas will be dead in 6 months
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2009, 06:24
rudderless1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil vs Staff

Just cause oil goes up, or anything else, does not mean people working for an airline can afford to work for less or free to off set it. They have bills that need to be paid and that also increase.
In fact they would need to inflate their wages just like people in any other industry. If their wages/remuneration cannot keep pace, I guess they will leave and work elsewhere.
If passengers do not wish to pay what it costs to fly, I don't think there are enough charitable souls out there that love working for an airline that much, to offer their services at a discount perpetually, just cause the industry isn't profitable.

If the industry is not viable it will shrink or close, staff attrition will increase, but the fact remains, if they need you (supply vs demand) they have to pay the market rate.

If oil is a problem aviation won't be the only ones changing. I suggest we will all change as we need when we need to as demand dictates.

Til then my wage will be proportional to the market demand, not some twit in mgt who sells some trumped up spin to pump his bonus!

Whilst it costs more for a cab to the airport or to park there for the day, then it does for a ticket from Sydney to Melbourne, we aint got too much to worry about.