PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Erebus site launched
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2009, 02:15
prospector

ampan,
Perhaps this from Bob Thomson explains that situation, Bob Thomson has made over 50 flights to the AntArctic, most of them on the flight deck, he had in fact been the guide on prior ANZ flights.

"The captain didn't give attention to problems that he might have around there. These people were taking a Sunday drive. When I heard the transcript of the CVR I fell out of my chair. Most of the times Mulgrew had been there he'd gone by sea, and all his travel from Scott Base was to the South. Hardly anybody ever went into Lewis Bay.

Had they orbited Ross Island they would have seen the cloud. If a pilot is unsure he always goes up, never down. The co-pilot on Flight 901 never opened his flight bag to look up the co-ordinates. I always had a chart in the cockpit and checked the latitude and longtitude readout, but the crew of the fatal flight never referred to it.''

"How many times does it need repeating? THE BRIEFED TRACK WAS NOT DIRECT TO McMURDO STATION."

So what? if the descent requirements had been complied with it is of no relevance.