PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 21:10
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DingerX
Another thing -- the report puts the CG at around 37-38% aft at the time of the accident. Any sort of spin I assume would kill the engines. Am I mistaken in assuming that, even if the RAT works there (which it's not designed to do), you'll be in direct law, where elevator control is by trim only?
I believe that direct law still controls the elevator. It just has a very simple (hence "direct") control relationship between sidestick and elevator, whereas the various higher-order control schemes are a bit more sophisticated. What you're thinking of is the backup system if all the PRIMs and SEcs go u/s. (apologies for not using the precise terminology, I'm going to go find it now if I can)

OK, found it again, full explanation here of the control scheme

DIRECT LAW
Direct law is the lowest level of computer flight control and occurs with certain multiple failures.

* Pilot control inputs are transmitted unmodified to the control surfaces, providing a direct relationship between sidestick and control surface.
* Control sensitivity depends on airspeed and NO autotrimming is available.
* An amber message USE MAN PITCH TRIM appears on the PFD.
* If the flight controls degrade to Alternate Law, Direct Law automatically becomes active when the landing gear is extended if no autopilots are engaged. If an autopilot is engaged, the airplane will remain in Alternate Law until the autopilot is disconnected.
* There are no protections provided in Direct Law, however overspeed and stall aural warnings are provided.
* The PFD airspeed scale remains the same as in Alternate Law.