PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 20:58
DingerX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marsk -- somewhere in this thread, someone with some experience points out that such real-time satellite data is not available on most flight decks.

Everyone reading the english version of the BEA report should check out the French version for the graphics (which presumably make up the bulk of the 10 megabyte difference in file size): there are some impressive reconstructions of the storms based on the 0207 and 0215 satellite shots, with the 0210 ACARS position report superimposed.

If anything comes out of this accident, I'm betting it's systematic training on the use of weather radar and making near-real-time satellite weather info available in-cockpit.

Another thing -- the report puts the CG at around 37-38% aft at the time of the accident. Any sort of spin I assume would kill the engines. Am I mistaken in assuming that, even if the RAT works there (which it's not designed to do), you'll be in direct law, where elevator control is by trim only?

also, JD-EE: Yes. Pedantry is appreciated! And to everyone else: professionals in the field call him William of Ockham, or just "Ockham", hence "Ockham's Razor." The name is based on his birthplace in Surrey. I understand that some of you might have wasted some time stooging about there. We have that in common.