PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Defense Budget - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 12:38
Brewers Droop

What would I do

Its very easy to argue amongst ourselves about what we should cut but if you put us alongside other Government departments I think there is a case that the pain should lie elsewhere.

At the risk of sounding like a Daily Mail reader, if you really want to save serious cash here are my big five:

1. Get a grip of Social Security. I have every sympathy for those who want to work or have recently lost their jobs. However, there are many who have been brought up with the belief that you get something for nothing. Also, look at the sacred cows - should everyone get universal Child Benefit? In short, the Social Security system should be a safety net only because whether we like it or not, we cannot afford it.

2. Get a grip of the compensation culture and rebalance risk adversion. At the very least, put a cap on compensation and stop the ludicrous payouts in all but very specific circumstances. Am I the only one who thinks that it is the Lawyers who need to take a good look at themselves?

3. Admit the pension timebomb. Raise the state pension age and let people work longer if they want. Undo the pension tax on dividend payments that has destroyed what was an excellent private pension system. Make saving for retirement compulsory and a proportion of income.

4. As for the armed forces. Decide whether we are a global player, a contributor to coalition efforts or a simple home defence force and resource appropriately. If they want us to carry on as a global player then we need more money. In which case, stop arguing amongst ourselves and start fighting our corner.

5. Get rid of JPA. If only for the reason that noone else has said it as yet and I wanted to be the first.

Overall, I understand the sentiment behind taking a pay cut but I despair where that money would subsequently go.

Oh damn, I did sound like a Daily Mail reader didn't I?