PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Commission
Thread: RAF Commission
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2002, 01:14
Talking Radalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...and now the other side of the coin.
I say well done to your bro' for having some morals about himself. There are far, far too many young officers kicking around who think they are living in the 1920s, when the rank structure reflected the class one.
Wakey, wakey, pink-gin-drinking, Morgan-driving, labrador-walking Wooperts everywhere...There is an increasing number of post-Graduate servicemen in trades on the ground and in the air, and the depth of knowledge and level of expertise in many technical trades is equal to if not greater than that of sky-god. Trouble is too few of the self-proclaimed "leaders" can be bothered to find out, choosing instead to spend their time telling the rest of the known universe how great they are themselves. Believe it or not, most airmen/women are happy where they are and often shy away from commissioning due to large numbers of self important twerps who are, in actual fact, a liability to themselves and others and an embarrasment to the Service at large.
As far as I can tell getting commissioned from the ranks is now on a par with entering direct, largely due to the scrapping of the notorious "Station Board", withdrawn for the very reason it was seen as an extra and thus unfair hurdle.
I actually admire the individual at the root of this thread for following the concept of not judging a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Even if they aren't a pair of stout brogues with matching Barbour jacket.