PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying to Stornoway
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 07:55
PhilD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to Stornoway with my wife last weekend in an Archer - my route was Fairoaks - Blackpool - Islay (2 night stop), Islay - Oban - Stornoway (2 night stop), then Stornoway - Oban - Carnarvon - Fairoaks all in one day. 1000 miles in 5 days!

I would highly recommend Stornoway - the airport is GA friendly, and the guys in the tower and in the airport could not have been more helpful.

We were lucky with the weather - it was fantastic all the way once we had cleared some CBs in the south on Friday. By the time we got to Stornoway the vis was so good I could see the runway from 25nm away, and they were reporting 70km vis! We had some more CBs around Welshpool on the way back, with London Info helping with some PIREPs.

I fuelled at Islay (on the way up) and Oban on the way back. In retrospect, fuelling at Islay was a mistake (1.86+VAT/litre!!), and I should have fuelled at Oban (1.46+VAT/litre), with maybe a splash at Stornoway

Route-wise, after leaving Blackpool on the way up we flew around the Scottish TMA to Turnbury, then MAC to Islay. After leaving Oban it was down the sound of Mull, past Glenforsa, then up the coast to Syke (Broadford) and then more or less direct up the Syke coast to Stornoway with some great scenery on the way. Interestingly Scottish did not have BFD on their radar, although it's on the Jepp chart, and in the 530. Coming back, we retraced our route from Stornoway to Oban, then for the long (2h15m) leg to Carnarvon we flew at FL075, DCT IOM DCT, with great help from Scottish, who gave us a routing around the Prestwick TMA, then got us airways crossing clearance across P600 (I think) and a handoff to Ronaldsway for another airways crossing of L10.

Oban (despite all the goings-on) is a great stop - thanks Paul - and Islay were very helpful as well, despite the fuel price.

It was my first trip to the Scottish islands, but a great time and highly recommended (but check the weather first!)