PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2009, 04:29
ClippedCub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CC The B-2 is not a conventional aircraft ... I have not flown that type and have no knowledge of its control regime.

For stall recovery in a conventional aircraft you need the tail plane flying first. i.e. elevator authority. If you get the main plane flying first you are going back in the stall ... stalls and flaps don't go well together.
EGMA, not trying to be critical, just relaying my understanding. B-2 was a bad example for the reason you cited, we'll use the before FBW, B-2 flying wing predecessor, and the flying wing Horton? glider. Stalling the tail is bad news and a stalled wing unloads the tail. We do flaps down stalls all the time. Never spun flaps down, and wouldn't want to, but it can be done. With flaps you get the slats on the A330, and wouldn't want to deploy them during out of control unless that was the last option. The Tiger Moth slats pop out in spins if they're unlocked, but that is a very low wing loaded airplane. But the F-4 slats come out during transonic manuevering. The A330 slats weren't designed for spins however.