PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 23:25
Smurfjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BOAC
I fear this is now going badly for AI and all who promote FBW and the 'protection' offered by multi-redundant systems and software.

IF the a/c had been thought to have broken up at high or medium level due to 'exceptional' turbulence' then Force Majeure could have been declared.

As it is, barring some unknown other structural failure (HS or forward section separation?), it is looking as if all these 'protections' didn't. There is the bad news for a 'failsafe' design.

I sense this will reverberate heavily.
If ditching is one of the considered scenarios, no amount of AI and/or Software protection will make it safe, at night, in a thunderstorm, and most likely with heavy seas.

Let me backtrack.

It broke up either:
1-In flight
2-On impact

Since it seems the BEA is shying away from 1) (does not mean it is discounted) then 2) gives us 2 more options:

1-it impacted in some kind of a controlled fashion, including ditching. Given the circumstances, the chances of success were very slim.
2-It impacted in an uncontrolled fashion, and in this case the industry has to determine why (and software can be involved).

An old and bold instructor once told me that when the brown stuff hits the fan, it is too late for protections (meaning they are there to avoid, not save). Back to basics might give you a chance if you're lucky.