PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Small airfields in Cumbria / Lake District
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 20:38
stuartforrest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That gliding site does not exist. I lived 1 minute from the supposed site and I have driven round and round to find it but couldnt despite being on top of it in memory map on my laptop with gps.

Cark is short but there is extra rough run off. I have stopped in my 182 but now I have a Bonanaza A36 and have not dared to stop yet, despite knowing it will get out again. It just feels short.

Barrow will let you in in the week with notice for certain and sometimes without with a bit of pleading. I have been there loads of times and only on weekdays.

I heard that Barrow had opened themselves up for general traffic fairly recently without restrictions but maybe that is not correct. I havent been for about 12 months as thankfully I dont have to go to Barrow any more ;-)

Kirbride is great as long as you want to land or go to the restaurant/hotel which you can taxi to from the runway and park in their car park. That is fun and freaks the hotel guests out. Only thing is that the hotel is open only at weekends I am pretty sure.

Cumbria is a nightmare for airfields and that is unfortunately why my plane lives 50 miles away in Blackpool.