PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Track vs. heading - an ATC Q for you pilot-types
Old 22nd May 2002, 22:19
Captain Stable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Maintain runway heading" = no correction for drift.
"Climb straight ahead to 3,000" = apply drift.

Yes, he's making a bit of a meal of it. On climbout it is perfectly normal to put a drift correction in manually. You can then set the heading bug on that and fly the bars with the FD in HDG. Put the AP in and it will continue straight ahead.

I can fully understand their company's point about not adding extra waypoints to the FMCS.

I've seen many people do this and the result is generally a nightmare, and dangerous, as Captain Blimp sets it up all wrong. I've seen a point for an 8-mile final placed at the wrong end of the runway, a point for STN AP put in that was 25 miles from EGSS and all sorts of other horrors.

What is generally needed at most airlines (and very few have them) is a navigation officer, whose responsibilities include setting extra nav points in FMCS/GPS/whatever systems they have. If EGxx publishes a new noise departure such as the one above, the captain on his voyage report makes a suggestion for a new nav point to be plotted to facilitate the departure and, in due course, it is done.

However, as I say, it is not exactly hard to fly the procedure correctly without.