PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 19:31
Dutch Bru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The VS remains a point of discussion.

In post # 725 I had ventured the following, based on the damage to the rudder base and the impression that the rear VS attachements had not "failed" and the damage pattern to the Mobile Crew Rest Area:

"tail end first impact of intact a/c ?
I would concur with those posters theorising that the VS broke off in its entirety on impact and I would add: of a by and large intact a/c.

Looking at the VS photo's, I dare to argue that the a/c impacted more or less level flight, but at a very high AOA, making the very end of the tail section hit the water first, crunching the tail section upwards and in the process damaging the lower-edge of the rudder and unsettling the VS attachment. Subsequent impact of the main, more forward a/c sections would then arrest the forward movement of the VS to the point that it separates from the tail-section alltogether.

Just theorising on what material is available at present."

For the VS to fail aft first and to break forward (left) one presupposes at least some forward speed (in addition to considerable vertical speed).

In that connection I wouldn't mind having further information on whether "belly first" in the definition used by BEA means underside in general, i.e. contrary to sideways or upside down. Such definition would not exclude underside tail first and could (with at least some fwd velocity) explain the VS breakaway.

DB