PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yemeni airliner down?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 19:07
Che Guevara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All this talk about blacklists etc.....

Like another poster here, I too flew in and out of Moroni in EK's 310s in the 90s. The visual approach at night to 20 has to be one of most challenging I have ever flown.

You take a 310 with it's very high power to weight ratio when it's light and do a go-around on a dark night....plus the possibility of a pilot pushing forward against the autpilot pitch command (possibly as a result of a somatographic illusion) the next thing you know the autopilot disconnects when the stabilizer reaches the stop and you are left with an uncontrollable aircraft which then decides to go vertical.

On the 310s and 300s unlike other similar aircraft, the autopilot does not disconnect if you override it in pitch until the stab reaches the stops, this has resulted in at least two hull losses and three loss of control in flight situations that I can remember.

We don't know yet what happened to these unfortunate people, and it may have nothing to do with what I have just mentioned, however I do know that they were dealt a poor deck of cards to start with.