PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's wrong with being 40 when you start training?
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 18:50
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel You can't teach an old dog new tricks

Well you can but it takes longer.

As you get older, it takes more mental effort to retain information. I can guarantee that studying for the ATPL exams will take you longer now than if you were 20 especially if you are out of the habit of studying.

Like it or not, the physical skill of flying is harder for older people and again, it'll take you longer to get your PPL than you would have done if you were 20.

Consequently, I suspect that airlines see this as a detrimental aspect when it comes to currency training.

Also, as a forty year old, you will have higher expectations in life and are less likely to put up with crap. Therefore, airlines may see more mature new recruits as potential trouble-makers even tough you may perceive that not to be the case. You'll be starting at the bottom whereas you may well be at the top of your field now.

There is a perception that older people are not prepared to report to someone younger than them.

I'm not saying any of it is right but these are possibly some of the reasons. Of course, some 40 year olds will be better than some 20 year olds. Some more mature newly-qualified commercial pilots have found successful careers in airlines but more priobably prefer working for smaller charter operators where there experience of life in general is preferred.

However, I'd be interested in any ageism within any training companies. Quite frankly, it's none of their business and they should welcome the custom.

Cheers

Whirls

Last edited by Whirlygig; 2nd Jul 2009 at 19:39.