PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doom, Gloom & Depression
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 12:34
2 Whites 2 Reds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did actually feel this way at one point! WWW made me buy a shotgun, some beans and dig a whole in the garden!
Hope that's a joke....otherwise WWW has got some explaining to do!!!

When I started training I had just left a very nice and lucrative Accountancy based role so am all to familiar with looking at things, especially anything with money involved, with a very pesimistic and critical perspective. Always assume the worst as one of my lecturers used to say!!!

I do agree that being happy is what its all about, we could all go off and earn large sums of money in other jobs but we picked this one to invest in with the end goal of being happy in what we do.

The job isn't what it once was from what I've seen in the dramatic decline in T's and C's over recent years, but it still beats sitting in an office any day! Also, I fail to see how it's in our interests to bad mouth the a profession we love and discourage new blood from entering the industry. It may mean less pilot's train and thus the pilot's that do can expect better T's and C's but that just make the whole profession look like a collection of arseholes frankly. And that's not something I'm prepared to sign up for.

Training now is perhaps somewhat less than ideal, but I'm stuck with it, I started the process in mid 2007 at which point things were still faily dandy, albeit with signs of a storm on the horizon. I chose to go for it and am thus now nearly finished ut with little chance of a job. A big expensive mistake......No. I've made an investment in my future. If the fruits of my work and money don't grow over night then so be it, but sooner or later they will and that's what I'm focuissing on. In the mean time the hurdle of staying current and indeed financially solvent is just another challenge which I'll have to face and deal with even though it is definitely one which I would rather not have to. Hence my analogy to an engine fire in flight earlier on. Now hopefully you can see my point and the relevance.

2W2R