PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Shar Decision - Questioning "Their Lordships"`
Old 22nd May 2002, 20:56
bystanderish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen, in pure military terms the argument to keep FA2 until JCA is compelling. You all put the case well. However, your arguments would be even more compelling if you resisted the temptation to descend into tribalism by making statements about other forces that are not only derogatory but inaccurate. However(!) following your lead:

Fact 1:

I have read some utter rot about how well the FA2s performed during DELIBERATE FORCE. If you were there and supported this shame on you. If you were not don't comment. Do not get me wrong, the FA2 boys did well considering the weapon aiming systems they were using. But do be not fooled into believing their performance came close to the Harrier GR7/ Jaguar performance dropping LGBs. Furthermore, mounting a cap over Albania during ALLIED FORCE does not constitute 'a credible offensive capability'. Although the GR4/ GR7 made a greater contribution during ALLIED FORCE, I would ask those forces to look at their statistics before they crow too loud.

Fact 2:

I completely agree that the GR7 is not a credible air defence platform and the FA2 is. However, you that done it, know that even the 65% Lerx GR7 (let alone the 100% lerx) has superior manoeuvrability in the close fight (and I agree we do not necessarily end up there). That being said the boys in dark blue are probably better trained.

Fact 3:

Jacko the Jaguar message is wearing thin! Speak to the Norwich stano about survivability in anything other than a benign environment. Sorry but despite the quality of the pilots, and the fact it is a useful avionics testbed, the Jaguar is underpowered and has an ew suite that only the FA2 would envy. You do not have long left - the RN are correct; you are the weakest link good bye (if only because we need the money). Medium level at a push, with an attack/recce capability equal to or less than the others does not merit 'flexibility'. If its economy we want lets arm up those Hawks.

If only the FA2 had not been described as the only ac with a 'credible, expeditionary, offensive capability', I could have kept my normal place in the shadows. Sorry 'alphaleaderuk' I am not going to patronise you with my reasons for speaking with authority but I suspect you might recognise some home truths. The FA2 community has a lot of support don't spoil it by throwing inaccurate stones.

Thanks for the therapy. Pin out, roll grenade and step back to the sidelines...