PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of Hong Kong Airlines
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 12:23
intelligentpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bosses who snub labor awards will pay a high price

An interesting article was published in the Standard newspaper last week. See link.
http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy38/intelligentpilot/Standardarticle.jpg

The key points to the article.
· The employment bill 2009 will criminalize non payment of the awards.
· The government takes a serious view to safeguarding the entitlements of workers.
· The company is guilty of these offences (listed below) and this bill aims to prosecute individuals involved. Arrears of wages, annual leave pay, severance pay and other contractual payments.
· Some employer representatives agree that irresponsible companies that are financially able but unwilling to pay the awards should be sanctioned.
· Under the new bill and employer who fails to pay the employee the awards and entitlements under the ordinance “willfully and without reasonable excuse” will be liable to prosecution, with a maximum penalty of HK 350, 000 and 3 years imprisonment. It goes on to say that the company director or person responsible for nonpayment of award will also be liable for the same offence. (HKA S.W, and head of H.R dept HKE P.K. and the finance department heads who ignore the pilots. We are coming after you personally)
· The proposed measure should send a STRONG deterrent and send a clear message to the community that defaulting awards is a serious offence.

Dear HKE/HKA management.

You are ILLEGALLY underpaying the pilots annual leave pay according the labor ordinance. You have been informed, in writing and verbally by the HKEPA union and several individuals, including your DFO and GMF. You continue to ignore this and seem to invite a lawsuit. Now individuals do not need to sue you personally because the government has had enough of your SHlT and will prosecute you themselves.

The government has put in place legislation so YOU personally will be seriously FINED, PROSECUTED and JAILED.

So to S.W, HKE H.R's P.K, the finance department heads, the CEO’s and the President, I look forward to the day your PROSECUTED for your ILLEGAL and unfair behavior. It is YOUR JOB to do the right thing and stand up to Hainan management if in fact it is HNA's policies that force you to break the law. But remember this; YOU will be prosecuted not HNA so YOU need to abide by the law and change policy to "make things right" This is not the mainland.

On another matter; I believe it is ILLEGAL that you’re reducing the annual leave days of the cabin crew because you say they only work 10-11 months. That is because of your FORCED LEAVE WITHOUT PAY. Again you have been put on notice. I will applaud the judge who prosecutes you personally, or personally fines you. Change your policies and aggressive behavior or pay the consequences.

So to the pilots and crew that have been illegally underpaid and who are continuously fighting for the pathetic conditions that do remain and to the basic labor law that the company is simply ignoring; do not be afraid to phone the labor department anonymously and confidentially. You can speak to a representative and they will inform you if your rights have been violated and what action you can take. Here is a contact number. Contact hotline for labor department - 2717 1771. Perhaps the department will throw the book at the company if they get enough complaints.

Labor Laws found here - http://www.legislation.gov.hk/eng/home.htm
Other useful sites - http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/welcome/content.htm

Sincerely, Intel
p.s can a local translate this to Mandarin and Cantonese and anonymously send to the management.
Thanks. If you need emails, P.m me.

Last edited by intelligentpilot; 2nd Jul 2009 at 13:04.