PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas will be dead in 6 months
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2009, 05:18
Metro man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some of the Asian carriers require their CC to share hotel rooms
Not just hotel rooms, I know many cabin crew living five or six to a three bedroom unit because they can't afford to live on their own. In Australia an f/o would earn "about" 2.5 times what a flight attendent makes. Over here it's 5-6 times as much.

can't figure out why worker bees, i.e pilots hosties baggage handlers engineers etc seem to be your target. what about the bloated pays for management
I stated that engineers were underpaid and managers were overpaid. As a pilot myself, a reduction in QF pilots terms and conditions does me no good at all. Our GM would love to use a QF pay cut as an excuse for one for us.

I've seen union vs non union loaders from my freight days. Basically the union ones used twice the number of people, took twice as long and got paid twice as much.

On the domestic routes cabin crew cost differentials with the competition aren't as bad as international. A flight attendent in Australia expects a certain minimum even if working for a low cost. On the international routes the competition have far lower cost, non unionised staff.

If QF can be profitable against the competition in its present form, all well and good. If EK, EY, SQ, CX, QATAR etc are supplying a better product at a lower price something has to give.

I don't want to be paying a "QANTAS ticket tax" so the staff can be paid their entitlements.