PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Circling to ALAs
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2009, 23:58
morno

Received 318 Likes on 118 Posts
I have considerable experience operating into blackhole strips at night in the middle of no where, using flares as runway lighting, and to say I'm both amused and shocked at some of the suggestions above is an understatement!

Simple process really. While flying a tight circuit, keep an eye on the runway lights. If they stay lit all the way round and on final, then you're clear of obstructions...wallah! If lights start disappearing, then there's something between them and you. NVFR is NVFR.
Lodown, I'll join VH in saying I hope you're never flying an aircraft I'm on! This is a great way to have a CFIT accident.

The procedure I employ to safely and successfully fly into a black hole, no aid aerodrome at night is quite simple.

1. Ensure you have airstrip info in the first place, length, elevation, runway orientation, width, as bare minimums. That'll give you an idea of what the lights will look like flying down final as well.

2. Are there tree's around the airstrip? Where are they? Any towers around the area? If you're landing at a property airstrip, every property I've ever been to has at least a tower near the homestead for the telephone. So where is it? Where are the hills? Is the final approach paths at both ends clear of terrain, obstacles etc.? These should all be standard questions for even day time anyway.

3. In these days, with technology, make Google Earth your friend! Don't use it as a primary resource, just a secondary one to have a look around the place and try and find the obvious things. It helps develop a picture in your head when you're flying around the circuit. And of course, have a look at your WAC chart. It sounds great to be able to have a look at a 1:100,000 topographical map, but let's be realistic, who carries one of these for everywhere in Australia? The area I fly around covers probably a good 600,000 SqKm. We'd just about need an entire room just to keep the maps.

4. Always fly a minimum of 4 legs of the circuit. I always bring myself overhead the aerodrome first at the route LSALT to check that there's no lights out that could create a confusing picture for me on final approach. Once I'm overhead, I'll come down to 1,000AGL. No lower. Night circling is a dangerous procedure at the best of times. Let's not make it even more dangerous by conducting a low circuit in a black hole. If I can't safely do it at 1,000ft, sorry, we're going home.

That's my basic ways of going about night circling into no aid, black hole aerodromes. It's worked the hundreds of times I've done it, and it's the way it's been taught to me by those who have done it thousands of times. Some of it may be a bit over cautious, but really, isn't that how we prevent accidents in the first place?

Cheers

morno