PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway behind you - a way to save time?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2009, 22:51
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cortilla, thanks for engaging. Yes I realise those things but will admit to being terribly rusty on the finer points . I have looked at some PPRuNe archive where balanced field length/flex/de-rated comparisons are discussed, and even downloaded some 737 Perfomance charts. The reason I have not engaged much with the Performance arguments here (my mistake - laying myself wide open I guess) is because I think what I experienced was simply not normal for the operation. The performance numbers become a bit academic if airline ops have already indicated that full length take-offs are to be the norm at a particular airfield. Might that be possible or are commanders given full discretion without even occasional line recommendation on such things?

Remember that thus IS an airfield/airline combo where, once armed with the weather, the aircraft commander can usually choose (negotiate? but I really mean choose) a straight in approach even when earlier traffic may have been using the reciprocal only minutes before, and where he will 'choose' a straight-out departure on the reciprocal as often as he sees fit.

I sincerely hope it was possible on the day to rationalise our take-off using the numbers, but I do of course have a nasty feeling (which basically others have taken exception to) that SOPs or not, our 30 minutes late status may have (re-?) influenced our entry point at a late stage.

As I have laboured previously, we have never before in my memory taken off from that point, but I could be wrong .