PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - White Waltham
Thread: White Waltham
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2009, 14:33
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE][I wonder if they could offer temporary membership for the day (at cost) – reap some extra revenue and possibly drive some more future business?/QUOTE]

Essentially, that would appear to be what you get in a landing -fee, IE use of all members' facilities including one landing and one departure...

As a private club, there has to be some way of filtering out undesirables. (otherwise the "private" aspect would be redundant)

First filter is undoubtedly the arrival method. Afellow pilot is likely to "fit in" anyway, and extension of facilities to a fellow-aviator is a given...........so, the issue revolves around
"Non-Airborne visitation"....."blagging" your way in , is IMHO, churlish and poor form.
As others have posted, offering to pay a Landing-fee, should satisfy honour.

Perhaps WW could look at their constitution and perhaps afford "Day-Membership" for a fee, to those showing a pilot's license in their name*

As a former Yacht-club member, we were automatically affiliated to the RYA and could expect acceptance at any other RYA affiliated sailing establishment, anywhere.

My last club now has a "day-membership" which allows non-members to sail on the Club's waters (subject to insurance etc.) and use the facilities. The fee is such that any more than about 3 visits per annum , makes it cheaper to join, though there is also a restriction on number of visits in any 12-month period.

You don't have to be Elitist, there are work-rounds without alienating the core-membershipto whom the committee should communicate the value of this extra revenue.

* Would allow former airmen to visit....My sister recently moved from a bungalow backing onto WW and her partner served at WW (as a secretary) during Nat. Service.He did get the odd jolly, though.