PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need some advice...
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2009, 13:31
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superpilot - and me for too. Very similar story, although was earning very good money as a perm anyway. Made the jump.....took two months to find my first contract, and then earnt enough to pay for OAA integrated in less than a year, with no debt at all. However, also had a very highly paid wife who took care of mortgage and house/clanger running costs and no kids (at the time, although I now have a 6 week old junior clanger) whilst I was learning.

Would reiterate that at the moment you should be in no hurry to complete....it is highly, highly competitive and going contracting to A) get money and B) build some really, really salable skills outside of aviation is a really, really good idea.

God knows that I am grateful as hell I managed to go straight back into my old role right now....

On a different note, at 25, you have loads and loads of time - so don't feel time pressured - the biggest pressure is probably your own desire to go and do it....resist that, earn as much as you can and you'll be fine.