PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway behind you - a way to save time?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2009, 11:34
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't it wonderful what characters we've apparently got sitting up front thesedays? They can learn multiple-choice answers by rote but few are prepared to acknowledge that if 99 of their colleagues' flights in the same aircraft at the same airport with similar loads always choose to go to the end of the runway, then the one that's half an hour late one night and goes from 2300 feet further down surely begs a question?

Of course intersection departures are in use for all manner of reasons at all manner of airports every day.

I say again, this is not a busy airfield. It is an exceptionally quiet airfield, especially at the time of day. It is an airfield where the aircrew can make ALL the choices. This crew hesitated at the intersection with the parallel runway (main taxiway) and hesitated again on reaching the active. The wheels did not stop turning the moment we left the apron, but they nearly did twice.

To counter a few long words bandied about here, I have not accused anyone of negligence, nor of 'unprofessionalism' (whatever floats your boat or sinks it) ... I have merely questioned the prudential aspects of leaving a quarter of the runway behind you when the ONLY gain is 2300 feet of taxy expense less the saving in expense of the take-off power settings used from the end, and maybe the 5 minutes (probably less) to taxy that bit further.

I have read all that has been written, even though some of it has only been written to criticise me personally as some imperfect individual because I have used airy-fairy estimates in my arguments. Yes guys I do know that you can't fly with airy-fairy estimates except maybe the passenger/baggage ones.

Most of you have resorted to clouding the question with all manner of supposed other reasons or restrictions which were not actually a factor. Others of you want me to understand that the RTO braking is something to behold and is not within my experience. Accepted.

It's a funny old forum sometimes. It is quite interesting how some pilots blow off steam by throwing personal insults around at the slightest provocation.

I think I have my answer. I think I broadly had it when I started the thread, eh? Does that really make me the besserwisser?

Due to the length of the runway, this crew, above many, looking for ways to save a few minutes when running late, had noticed that an intersection departure was a possibility.

Had they not been late, they probably would not have made the choice of an intersection departure. I mean, why would they?

Those that say ay say ay, those that say no say no ...

I think the besserwissers have it