PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 1st Jul 2009, 10:28
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation

PROMPTED by the AF447 accident, but NOT directed at Airbus specifically, I would like to open a discussion on this. ALL manufacturers are moving towards FBW/software control and protection etc.

It seems to me that we have reached a dangerous 'fork in our airway'. The FBW and software make for an amazing, clever and safe operation when they are working. Our 'new' pilots don't really need the old-fasioned basic flying skills, since these systems prevent abuse/mishandling.

What is frightening to me is that after 4 weeks of 'phone-a-friend'/post a PDF chapter/analyse ACARS messages we STILL do not really seem to be sure what the AF crew had left. Experts sift back and forth, 'maybe this and maybe that, but....' - all with the luxury of time. This crew had minutes to sort out an apparent cascading deterioration.

To me this says we need 2 things, 2 basic foundation-level things for starters.

We need a system in the cockpit that DEFINITELY leaves a crew with a basic flying panel, albeit limited - maybe no IAS or altitude, but at least power and attitude and does not just dump a pile of hot poop in the crews' laps and go off shrugging its shoulders. If that means a simple, battery powered AI, then fit it.

We need the crew to be able to revert to this basic instrumentation and make a reasonable fist out of descending away from performance limiting altitudes where they can take time and try to 'reboot' all the gismos at a more leisurely pace. We need basic skills, as demonstrated by the AMS, PGF and Buffalo accidents and far less 'over-confidence' in the magic.

2 tasks then, as I see this. One is for the manufacturer/regulators/operators to ensure something usable remains, and not to be seduced into glittery-eyed fascination with how clever everything is. The second for the pilot fraternity to press hard for a change in the philosophy and application of training and recurrent testing. Learning how to programme and push the buttons is important, but more important is to be able to pick up the pieces. These requirements WILL impact on the bean-counters. The question is how do we get it done?