PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Handheld force gauges
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2009, 09:12
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Problem with all of those I think JimJim is that they're relatively long - much like the fishing scales which I'll admit to using at the moment. With a relatively short movement that inevitably exists between body-sticktop-instrument panel, that tends to make them unworkable once you're into larger stick movements.

The items at BDN, which is I suspect is what Hello1 is using, whilst incredibly old, were great because they had little depth, sitting fairly neatly between the hand and the control plus a display on top, where you can see it quite readily whilst strapped in properly. A serviceable one of those with a good scale, or better still an updated one with a digital display allowing greater resolution and range would I think be the perfect solution for uninstrumented aeroplanes (I suppose I could get really greedy and hope for a data logger as well!, but for manual testing in uninstrumented aircraft not really essential).

G

N.B. Rich, don't knock wooden pleasure devices - I've had much fun flying many of them.