PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yemeni airliner down?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2009, 06:05
threemiles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xeque

Once again, many thanks for your explanation of the visual approach procedure for runway 20 when arriving from the north. The charts in post #22 did not show that.
I have one last question. In the event of a missed approach to 20 do you repeat the procedure exactly?
Finally, can anyone accurately show where the aircraft came down? I am still confused about it's being reported 9 miles to the north of the island.
The proper chart for this is
http://www.ais-asecna.org/pdf/atlas/.../moroni-06.pdf

Because it is a visual approach there is nothing said about a missed approach procedure. Most likely you would stay in the traffic pattern and try again. Can be tricky though, but normally would be briefed well before the approach. Alternative, fly back to HA and repeat complete procedure. This does not seem what happened.

The said crash site is where you extend the centerline rwy 20 over water to the north, well off the shore. There is no part of the procedure that leads there. A straight-in from there (the North) is not possible me thinks, mountains in the way to final.

With INS properly updated all no problem. But lack of DME-DME update may be a problem in the area. If no GPS, mapshift may be significant at the time of approach.