PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Circling to ALAs
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2009, 02:16
Captain Sand Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume the advice in post #5 is within the framework of the night circling rules detailed on page ENR 1.5 - 4, i.e. you would not drop down to 300FT above obstacles until established on final.

Paragraph 4.5.2 of page ENR 1.5 - 29 requires that you maintain LSALT until within 3NM of the airfield if operating IFR into an airfield without an instrument approach. If I were NVFR I apply the same rules.

Cougar,

If I were operating NVFR into an unfamiliar ALA I would:

1. Obtain the largest scale map possible and ascertain what the highest terrain within 3NM was.
2. Contact the operator and find out if there are any man made obstacles near the airfield that may not be on the map. I would also ascertain what lighting is going to be available.
3. Maintain LSALT until overhead as I find judging distances visually at night more difficult than in daylight.
4. Once overhead I would commence a circling descent maintaining the aircraft within the same lateral confines I would use for a normal circuit and position on down wind ALT (1,000FT AGL).
5. Fly a normal circuit. The qualification is that the circuits I fly as an ADF pilot are much tighter than those normally used by operators of GA types. Accordingly I am quite happy that the pictures used for a normal circuit will keep me well within 3NM. We also aim to roll out on final at 500FT AO (minimum 400FT AO), so that satisfies the requirement to maintain above 300FT above obstacles until on final. However if I found any inconveniently positioned obstacles (i.e. base/final area) during my previous preparation, I would limit my descent accordingly.

Probably not the most efficient way of doing it, but it’s certainly safe and stays within the rules. I would think that the procedures for visual approaches into ALAs are not detailed for the same reason as for a missed approach during circling. There are many different ways of getting the job done, and to document them all would make AIP even bigger and more unwieldy than it already is.