PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Imporatant decision - please help
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2002, 15:32
Seredipidy Dawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Imporatant decision - please help

After years of saving I have finally managed to acquire the princely sum of £55,000. I cannot face working in my current career any longer, even though I realise it would make sense to stick at it for another 6 months….the past 5 years have been “just another 6 months”. Time is also a factor, since I am 32.
Considering the current climate, how do people think I should train for a career in aviation:

Full time modular - £45,000 including living expenses and an FI course upon completion.

Ab initio at Jerez - £55,000, plus borrowing another £10,000 for living and an FI course with them upon completion.

Airline Partnership scheme with Oxford, £65,000+£10,000 expenses, borrowing £20,000.

(Approximate figures; please correct me if they are far from realistic).

I realise that I am exceptionally fortunate to have this amount of money, however I have worked incredibly hard, sacrificing a great deal in saving such an amount, and I do not wish to waste it now. I know that the OATS partnership scheme costs a lot more, but if it helps me to find a job with an airline quicker, increased earnings may cover this. Alternatively, I would also like to instruct for a year, but I’m worried about the availability of FI jobs when I qualify.

Please, any advice at all would be very welcome.