PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DERRY/LONDONDERRY
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2009, 17:14
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cuthere/amelia thanks for your comments. I like to see the Derry thread alive and open. It is an airport that I love to see progressing and one that I think has alot of potential.

I was travelling back to BFS from Manchester with Bmibaby. A number of the passengers were sitting close to me and I got chatting. They had travelled from Derry and some from Donegal to BFS to join the flight to MAN and were now returning.

What I observe from some of my work in the Derry/Londonderry area is that alot of people dont even check the offerings from the City of Derry airport. While the ones that do think that it is marvellous.

What is needed in my view are essentially 2 things.

1. Advertise strongly locally. An innovative marketing plan that sells the benefits of using the City of Derry airport. KNock airport have done this as far a field as Enniskillen with some degree of success. Ie Rather than going to BFS/BHD or DUB. Certainly I know there are a wider choice of routes from Belfast but there are still opportunities.
2. Try to get the main cities served directly from LDY. MAN EDI LGW. Take the reasons for going to BFS/BHD away.

Donegal is a popular destination abroad so link up with the ROI tourist authority to promote the airport and the region on a joint basis.

More enthusiasm is needed locally and some investment into local awareness could do alot.

Still amazes me that nobody has been able to attract another carrier on the London Market. Why would Easyjet not look at a daily 319 to LGW. Some mornings Ryanair have 2 flight closely enought timed to LTN and STN and no evening service. Certainly getting a proper service that allows a day return would pay off in the long run?

What do anyone else think?

EI-BUD