PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST (BHD) - 3
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2009, 16:57
BFS101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I (perhaps a utopian view) would like to see all three prosper (might encourage BFS, most used in NI, to get its act together). However.....
As would I, however while Northern Ireland may be able to sustain BFS as the main hub, and then BHD and LDY as regionals; I think two "major" (in Northern Ireland terms) airports in NI would dilute resources, almost like the reverse of economies of scale, and in the end the traveller would lose out.

Almost 35% of NI's population lives in the greater Belfast area.....making BHD a very useful resource it could be argued........
BHD has an important role to play, but I stick to my point that it should remain focused as a more business orientated regional airport. Since FlyBE got its act together after a disasterous summer last year, with cancellations and delays galore, it serves the BHD markets excellently as does bmi.

I do continue to despise Ryanair, feel they have brought nothing to the NI market except dilute service, that was pretty adequate to begin with, (and for the record, do not want them anywhere near BFS). I feel they do not fit well with BHD, pushing for a runway extension that no current airline at BHD seems to want, and listed potential destinations in Europe that are already well served. And then the general Ryanair issues of poor customer service, stealth charging, the arrogant mouth-piece that is MOL, and the whole tacky nature of the business model. Cheap, cheap, cheap (or is it?).

BHD is a valuble resource but as BFS will always be the "main" NI airport due to its location, I think more investment should go on better roads, transport and infrastructure to serve ALL Northern Ireland residents and parts of the ROI. An airport that could reach a critical mass to allow better shopping, catering, ground transport, new routes etc. And don't think I'm part of the BFS fan-club, much needs to be done there, regarding terminal inprovements, and the airlines operating at BFS are far from issue free. I'm just of the opinion that a damn good International airport with two regionals is the best way forward, and the shareholders or stakeholders of BHD and LDY should not dilute the optimum arrangement in NI whatever that may be.

LDY I have no real opinion on. I hope it too prospers as a regional airport, and so long as it adds to the whole NI air transport picture, rather than diluting or reducing services, then all good.