PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report on incident in DUB 2007
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2009, 15:08
PPRNkof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Looks like the AAIU are still following up with this as I have (finally) received some feedback from them. I managed to get the Chief Air Investigator via the department of transport and sent him the following email:
---
I'm concerned that EGPWS was not included in the report and I believe that it is an important factor in acting as a final safety net in preventing an accident, if there's a future similar event - either with this building or in a different scenario (here or abroad). My only motivation in this is to ensure that the correct lessons are adopted from this incident to ensure that aviation safety is improved. I could not live with myself if I did nothing and an accident did occur, where I felt that previously I had not acted.

As EGPWS is standard now, I think that we can assume that the aircraft was fitted with it and that the following recommendations be added to the report, so that they can be escalated to EASA and relevant government departments.

EGPWS obstacle mode should be enabled on EGPWS.
EGPWS obstacle mode should be selected during a visual approach.
EGPWS terrain database is required for Ireland and the relevant information should be complied and forwarded to the EGPWS manufacturer (Honeywell I assume). This will also require inclusion nationally, in the planning process, when new tall buildings are constructed close to airports/flight paths.

Fell free to contact me if you have any queries or comments.
---

Received the following reply:
---
Thanks for that.
As previously advised it has always been our intention to provide you with a written reply to your queries. The IIC is seeking further clarification from interested parties to the investigation, but as the Operator has gone into administration, coupled with the aircraft being returned to the USA, you will appreciate that particular answers to additional queries are not readily available and have now to be sourced from other parties in other countries who have nothing to do with the original investigation.

I can confirm that the aircraft was equipped with EGPWS and was reported by the flight crew to be serviceable. The Investigation determined that the flightcrew did not receive a EGPWS warning and this was confirmed by analysis of the FDR, therefore the focus of the investigation was primarily related to the optical illusion created by the hotel and its associated lighting at night time.

The AAIU will respond in writing to you if and when we receive responses from the interested parties. On receipt of any response I will then consider whether further clarification is required in the published Final Report.
---
Still not ideal, but at least some progress. Maybe some light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't think that I'll be getting a Christmas card from the AAIU or Department of Transport!

Last edited by PPRNkof; 3rd Jul 2009 at 19:42.